I am studying water geochemistry, but I have never thought about oxygen study in the ocean water. Last week presentation from Dr. Hamme’s research highlighted me the important of oxygen cycling, and its concentration in the ocean water to the organisms. It also enlightened me the use of Argo floats to collect oxygen and other elements at various water level, how they processed those data to determine the oxygen content in various water masses across many oceans. Around 70% of our earth surface covers with water, and oceans hold about 95% of all earth’s water. Roberta mentioned that Water sample was taken by ship by using chemical Titration technique. 3967 of Argon floats were already installed most of major oceans, and measuring the oxygen concentration simultaneously, and transmitting the data through satellite base communication, determined a global average, and stored the data in global library. The spatial and temporal extent of her work can highlight the change in global trend. Oxygen concentration in most cases seems to be highest at the surface level because of warmer water and dissolved gas. Most interesting part to think about the oxygenation and de-oxygenation process in the area where has the most tidal effect? What is the relationship and pattern of the area where the oxygen is supersaturated.

The research was not directly related to my study, but, to some extent, the methods of water sample collection in various location and depth were similar.

Dr. Hamme answered the questions with confident. I like the way that she brought the slides (graphic aid) back to support her answer to the audience. If I will have a chance, I would have asked about brief configuration procedures of Argo Float installed in different depths. I enjoyed the talk.