Dr. Roy Rea opened up his presentation with humors that made my eyes opened. I think that it was one way of attracting audience to the topic quickly. It is obvious that his presentation style did not follow the academic/research style, but, it seems to me, looked like a discussion forum type that Dr. Rea purposely brought it into audience attention. It was fascinating to know that Moose likes to live in the forest edges, and collar data shown that they did not like much going far away more than 150meters from those edges. If that fact was proven, current harvesting practices should consider the patch sizes in Moose Habitat Area, and if necessary WTP (Wildlife Tree Patch) area percentage may need to be adjusted.

It was sad to learn a fact that moose population were declining to 70% in some parts of BC. It was also good to know that Moose were happy in Heterogeneous environment. Subalpine Fir (Balsom?), Birch and Aspen were their major annual diet as well. Moreover, Moose species was an indicator for the Biodiversity and Ecosystem, and Dr. Rea highlighted that how clear cut forest practices and herbicide application were impacted to their habitat. It can be seen that the change of natural forest to management forest system will be a threat to the moose ecosystem.

In regards to the silviculture practices especially in herbicide application, Dr. Rea just only mentioned the general consideration about herbicide and its impact to the root system. It would be very informative and useful if he could have brought up the proven fact that how many percentage of harvested land in Moose Habitat were being applied by herbicide and how much of reforestation have been impacted, because, that may tell the impact intensity of moose declination.

From the presentation, there were no direct applicable or relevant facts to apply into my own research, but, one thing enlightened to me was Birch root branches went down to the deeper soil and consumed the mineral content, and stored it in the bark. By using that fact, I may think of using bark sample as one sampling method for mineral study from B horizon sub-soil layer.

In the Q & A section, most were seems like comments than the question but Dr. Rea did respond to his best of knowledge especially to some questions those were out of his areas. If I will have a chance, I could have asked if his thoughts on the other consideration of risk factor (out of clear cut) that might impact to the moose population. It was an enjoyable moment to listen and learn.