Before I point out my thoughts regarding Dr. Krogh’s presentation I need to say that I was already familiar with the mass spectrometry technique. In fact, not only I learned about the way it works but I also learned how relatively unaccessible was back then, and I’m talking about 2014.

If you think that four years is not a enormous gap you are right, and that is precisely what I found remarkable. I can foresee that in a near future this enviroment analysis technology will become more popular, or at least it should, at a decision-making level. Since it gives real time air and water quality results in such a wide, flexible area my best forecast would be that this will even join efforts with automatized drons or rovers: in fact,  that ‘might have been’ my question for Dr. Krogh, how posible would be this. Automatized devices capable of developing mass spectrometry?

The more info we can collect about our planet, the closer we will be to understand the way it works, and the aftermaths of all events on it. Perhaps we will be able to understand how to adapt to new environmental conditions or enhance current ones.

Regardless of the potential, take home message: we live in a world of such continuous, fast changes it can be really overwhelming to keep track of them. That’s why I cannot stop remarking the importance of being passionate about a single field, or a relatively narrow range of fields: as if all of us are passionate about different fields we, as a community, will be able to adapt to as many changes as the technology and the planet are delivering to us.

Don’t let me be misunderstood, my advice is far from having a narrow vision, enlighten yourself with as many theories and topics as you want but commit and grow into the one that fits you better tan your favourite sweater. 

I think that (as a philosophy) I’m taking to my own research that I must be aware of potential changes regarding technology, ideologies and wisdom. My ego and the idea of ‘I already know’ can make me miss great opportunities to become wiser.

Thank you for reading,

Sergio