Dr. Roberta Hamme, an oceanographer from University of Victoria gave a wonderful presentation on “Ocean Oxygen Cycling from Robotic and Shipboard Observations”. I came to know about a lot of information from this presentation. I came to know about Argo Float, a special kind of autonomous robots that remain at sea for a prolonged period of time, collects and monitors various parameters. It has a unique feature to move across the depth of the sea. When oil is pumped into the external bladder, the volume increases in the float and thus the float rises. Similarly, when oil comes inside the float, volume decreases and then the float sinks. I got to know about the oxygen distribution in the ocean, the global rate of net oxygen production in surface waters, the changing pattern of the concentration of oxygen in the intermediate ocean. Dr. Hamme mentioned that only few locations have been studied so far and if we want to get a global average then it is required to study and collect data from more locations and more often.

I like Dr. Hamme’s presentation very much. She explained everything so nicely. Her slides were very informative and she explained her research objective and research questions very clearly. I liked her way of explaining the net oxygen and carbon production by mass balance. There were a lot of graphs and some were complicated too but she explained everything so nicely that it was not that much hard for me to understand.

Dr. Hamme’s research is not directly related to my research but it was really great to know about new ocean technology and a lot of information that are happing under the ocean every moment. Oceans are one of the most important parts of the world so it is very important actually to know about it. For this reason, I enjoyed the presentation very much.

Dr. Hamme was some questions about her research and she answered them very nicely. When she was being asked questions about a specific topic, she was moving to that particular slide and was answering and explaining with the figures and graphs from her slides. By this way it was easy to get the answer and understand the idea. I did not have any specific question to her but I would really like to know more about this ocean oxygen research if I get the chance.