Student Name: A.B.

Lecture Date: October 26, 2018

Speaker: Erik Krogh, Ph.D., P. Chem – Applied Environmental Research Laboratories

Department of Chemistry, Vancouver Island University

Title of Presentation: Advances in Direct Mass Spectrometry for mobilized Environmental Chemical Analysis

1. What new information or knowledge did you learn from this presentation?

I learned that I need to review what I learned in Chemistry as an undergrad in order to understand this presentation. What is mass spectrometry? http://www.premierbiosoft.com/tech_notes/mass-spectrometry.html

Direct, On-Line Sampling and Analysis

Sample – > Prep – > Chromatography – > MS/MS

Point in time

vs.

Continuous in-time

Direct / Membrane inlet – > MS/MS

I don’t know what the speaker is measuring with MS – measuring air quality

Reviewed Atmospheric Chemistry – primary pollutants NO, VOC, PM – focus is on VOC

BC has many fixed Monitoring Stations – several in Prince George area.

VOC’s are volatile Organic Compounds are

Full scan MS data is multivariate

Supervised principal component analysis?? Vs. unsupervised principal component analysis

Drove through Vancouver for 3 days and received additional info through UPCA

Transformative Technology{?]

In-Field Environmental Monitoring, Food Security and Point-of-Care Medical Diagnostics

– Information when and where you need it

– Unprecedented Spatial and Temporal Resolution

– Opportunities for Big Data Analytics

– Risk-based and Adaptive Sampling

– Emergency Response

2. Are there particular aspects of the presentation you enjoyed or intrigued you and are there others that could have been improved?

I am not a chemistry student and I had a difficult time understanding the initial slides of this presentation, I would have liked more of an introduction to why the speaker was sharing such specialized knowledge and using so much jargon.

Its neat to see that MS go mobile inside a modified vehicle, it’s a mobile lab and an interesting method to bring the monitors to specific locations of interest

3. Are there components of the research that would be applicable or relevant to your own master’s research?

As an environmental planner, it would be beneficial to my practice to learn more of the jargon Chemists use in order to understand how their research can be incorporated into environmental planning.

Adaptive sampling may be of interest to my master’s research, further personal discovery would be required to determine its suitability to Indigenous Planning.

4. How well did the speaker respond to questions and is there a question you would have asked given the opportunity?

Question asked by one of my peers in the NRES class – what is your operating temperature maximum? Answer was +38 degrees Celsius

I don’t feel like I know enough about science/Chemistry to ask a question about his research.

I ASKED: What is Chromatography? Erik, provided an excellent answer and I am satisfied.