What new information or knowledge did you learn from this presentation?

The importance of small streams in any watershed, contrasted with their lack of protection under current legislative regimes was a major take away from this presentation. It was new to me that small streams make up approximately 80% of all channelling in watersheds, and that they are more susceptible to cumulative impacts as a result of development. While it was not new information that small streams are sensitive given their size, and most commonly impacted by development, it was a disappointing shock that provincial legislation contradicts federal legislation regarding the protection of fish and fish habitat, and that protection has not improved under the FRPA regime.

Are there particular aspects of the presentation you enjoyed or intrigued you and are there others that you think could have been improved?

I particularly enjoyed the presenter’s focus on adaptive management and the need for collaboration, given the applicability of these themes to natural resource management more generally. Dr. Rex’s experience in research and governance came through very strongly in the presentation and his concluding points on the need for collaboration with First Nations, industry, interest groups, and stakeholders was refreshing. I felt the presenter articulated the significance of the research very well, particularly as it relates to a northern British Columbia context.

Are there components of the research that would be applicable or relevant to your own Master’s research (methodology, dataset used, philosophies, implications to society)?

Dr. Rex’s call for collaboration and applied research is consistent with my research philosophy; it is part of the reason I am partnering with a community to advance their objectives related to surface water management. My work also overlaps with themes of water management and I felt his focus on the importance of small streams and their relative lack of protection forms part of the context of my research.

How well did the speaker respond to questions and is there a question you/ would have asked given the opportunity?

Dr. Rex responded to questions well, and I was particularly reassured that his call for communication recognized the value of local knowledge in conjunction with academic research. Given the opportunity, I would ask Dr. Rex about the methodology behind past and current legislative regimes that have and continue to facilitate a lack of protection of small streams.