Dr. Erik Krough introduced the concept of mobilized chemical analysis. He began with the inter-disciplinary nature of mass spectrometry – that discussed analytical, physical and environmental concepts. The technique and concept of mass spectrometry impressed me, since it can make micro level measurements – including at the level of a molecule. It answers analytical chemistry questions such as what a certain compound is and how much of it is present. Something I didn’t know was that this process involves making, sorting, detecting and recording ions. The entire process involves sampling, preparation, chromatography and mass spectrometry.

One alternative involves sending the samples to the lab, and analyzing them there. This results in greater accuracy in identifying and measuring the samples. The other alternative involves looking at the data as soon as it has been collected, in your van. This can be done while you are going from one place to another. It saves time but can compromise the accuracy of identification, quantification and other aspects by 4%. But, this is useful in a case where samples are sensitive. Thus, if a long time is required to take these samples to the laboratory, there can be a change in the properties and aspects of the sample. The second alternative can also help find high quality and rich data that meets the parameters looked for, which is especially useful since there are a limited number of samples to be analyzed. In this way, information is also available where you need it, and just as it is needed.

While introducing the significance of measuring VOC in air samples, various journal articles were introduced about the negative effects of air pollution on humans in Canada. In this way, people who could not connect to the specific issue of VOC in air (because they weren’t familiar with the context) could connect to the bigger picture and more general issue. The maps used in the project of Non-targeted Source Identification in Vancouver and Nanaimo were well-made and visually easy for me to understand. This helped me realize the importance of using maps that are easy to understand my research. The method of finding the apportionment of pollution to the source was a concept that fascinated me. If I could ask him a question I would have asked about the apportionment of pollution to a source, how this is done, and whether the wind speed and direction is calculated for this. However, a lot of abbreviations and jargon were used, which made it difficult for me to understand the presentation quickly, because I am not familiar with this particular field. But when terms such as chromatography were asked to be explained, this was done well, with the use of effective analogy.  The roadmap given in the beginning of the presentation was effective in communicating the aspects that were going to be discussed, and helped me know what to expect.